Sunday, September 18, 2011

White Privilege

White Priviledge: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack, by Peggy McIntosh

The author, Peggy McIntosh argues that many people are racist or act racist and don't think they are, because of values or actions that they are indirectly taught or learned throughout daily life.   

Society has standards and expectations that are passed on from generation to generation.  This arguement falls into the "Whiteness" part of the SWAMP activity that we did in class.  The list of 26 points that she lists in the article are never directly related to "Whiteness."  As a white person, in my mind I can indirectly relate all 26 points to being white.  I feel the point of the article is that through indirect behaviors, ideas, thoughts, actions, people become racist or act racist.

Right now as a coach, I have a player on my team who is African-American, and going through some issues in the classroom.  I am trying to be receptive to him, treat him like I would treat the rest of the team.  Between the two of us, we have talked about soccer stuff and not race or creed.  He has told me I am not treating him any different, than what he expected.  I have told him that I have been harder on him as a player, but that's only because of his potential as a player.  He smiled and said I expect it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment